In a recent Twitter chat (#engchat), Diane Ravitch shared some inspiring words about making a difference in education and speaking up for teachers. Follow Ravitch’s tweets at: www.twitter.com/dianeravitch
- Teachers must be public intellectuals. Must write, blog, write letters to editor, comment on blogs. Speak from experience.
- Very important to preach to the choir. That’s how social movements are built. Start with one, encourage many to join. Create might.Very important to preach to the choir. That’s how social movements are built. Start with one, encourage many to join. Create might.
- Speak up, invite parents,civic leaders, business leaders into your school. Let them know what you do. Open the doors.
- Eng teachers can write. Use power of pen. That’s all I have done for a year, and Bill Gates calls me his “biggest adversary”
- Read website for Pasi Sahlberg about Finland. Set out to strengthen profession, not to turn it over to amateurs and profiteers.
- Personal letters to Duncan, Obama, and your electeds very important, more so than email. Many in Cong tell me everyone loves NCLB
- Very important to preach to the choir. That’s how social movements are built. Start with one, encourage many to join. Create might.
- Teachers are demoralized in every district. They know that high-stakes testing is undermining education. So is competition.
- Politicians: bring them into classrooms. Invite them to be teacher for a day. Help them understand your work.
- Teaching is one of the hardest jobs in society. $$ rewards small, psychic rewards huge. Your students will remember you forever.